понеділок, 27 лютого 2017 р.

Palermo Sunday - Steve McCurry and photo exhibitions of 2016

Welcome to the new series - Palermo Sunday. It's more of a youtube series, because I'm really enjoying making Sunday vlogs, but I'm in the mood to extend this habit also to my blog.

So keep reading to see my first Sunday vlog, some photos and my ode to Steve McCurry - a genius photographer I've been admiring for years.

00

As I already wrote on numerous occasions, photography is one of my biggest passions in life.

I've got the "photography bug" from my dad, and one of my first memories in life is of him developing his black and white photos in the red light. So every time I have an opportunity to take one more photography class or see one more photography exhibition, I'm there in no time.

Last year I had a chance to visit quite a few great exhibitions:
* Letizia Battaglia's Anthology in Palermo, where I live;
* Sebastiao Salgado's Genesis in Ljubljana, Slovenia;
* Kevin McElvaney's #Refugeecameras, which was kind of a mixture of a photography and a social project.

Untitled
Letizia Battaglia's Anthology - March 2017, Palermo, Cantieri Culturali alla Zisa.

So when Steve McCurry's photo exhibition Icons came to Palermo, I knew I will see it no matter what. So on a very sunny February day my friends Lam, Anna and I went to GAM (Galleria d'Arte Moderna) to enjoy the photos and forget about everything else for 2-3 hours. 

Click on the video to see some of our adventures. Don't forget to like, share and subscribe! <3
And scroll down to see some of my photos of the exhibition. 


I know that some people don't see the point of going to this type of exhibitions because with photography you don't really have the concept of the original. But I will never agree with this. 

DSC_0180
Coat - No name, Bag - Pieces via Asos, Sweater - H&M, Skirt - Promod, Booties - Bata

There's something absolutely special not only in seeing the photos in such a great quality but also in dedicating time just to art. Nothing else, just art. This is one of my favourite things to do, and I'm really grateful to my family for opening this world to me since I was very young.

DSC_0134

The exhibition was divided into a few zones - portraits (which you can see on the photo above), street photography and candids, and, of course the famous Afghan Girl zone, that consisted of the portrait and a small nook with the screen, showing the National Geographic's movie about Steve McCurry and Sharbat Gula (you can find the link under the video).

DSC_0151

This was one of the photos that impressed me the most. On the audio guide, the author explains that this photo was a true candid, that he made completely automatically. Maybe that's why it feels so real?

DSC_0160

The exhibition had left me very happy, overwhelmed and even nostalgic - there were some photos from Thailand, and specifically from Chiang Mai, where I lived four years ago. There were many other great photos from all over Asia - bright, vibrant, lively and absolutely amazing.

DSC_0168

I guess, I will even go and see it again if I will come over this exhibition again in another city. It gets my highest recommendations.

Have a great day! See you!

Немає коментарів:

Дописати коментар